{Like Spinning Leaves: I Only Missed By One Word

Like Spinning Leaves

Tuesday, April 03, 2007

I Only Missed By One Word

Nearly two weeks since my last post, I know. Things these days have been crap to say the least but I'm also so busy I've barely had time to catch my breath and process it all. Going to be pretty sour once the laughter stops. Looking back on the last couple of entries, it's amazing to think that so much has transpired in the last 13 days. So much to tell. I don't even know where to begin. I'll work backwards from the most recent entry.

MTV
PaulPaul&I had a meeting with a sr edit0r @ MTV dot calm (google makes me nervous) to discuss the possibility of a series about gaming/music culture that was stripped of all the goofy bits n skits that characterize your average gaming show. PL likes to sum it up as having the same feel as Insomniac with Dave Attell but with circuit benders and chip musicians instead of hookers and alcoholics. Unfortunately, the meeting was kind of a bust but with a consolation prize. We showed them some stuff from Blip Fest and they agreed to run a little segment on the scene and our movie, giving appropriate links to both. It's nice but not particularly high on the list for a number of reasons. The two most important being that em-tea-v is something of a dying breed these days and the kinds of kids who frequent the site aren't going to give two shits about what we're interested in.

BRAZIL
So as I've mentioned before, there was only enough room for one of us to fly into the Amazon for the short piece about That Tribe. Unfortunately, PO won't be able to acquire his passport (and therefore, his visa) in time for the trip so now I'm going. I want to make it very clear that regardless of who gets to go, I think it's a piss poor idea. If anything, it's even worse that it's me since I feel P has a better idea of how to put a cohesive documentary together. I just know how to spin eye candy and, even then, my low appraisal of myself hovers just between Crippling and Able To Function (not fishing, seriously).
But really, we were hired based on the quality of our collaboration. And because I'd like to think that our combined efforts are greater than the sum of our parts, the potential to screw this up is too great for me to not feel anxious. I leave the Saturday after next for one week. Naturally, it's the worst week for me to be 100s of miles away from a system with Final Cut Pro on it.

Wedding Story
Several degrees of Tennessee separation landed me a pretty interesting gig that has dominated the majority of my time since my last update. Long story short: I'm putting together a short documentary for an engaged couple about their roller coaster of an 11 yr relationship - interviewing family and friends (including this guy). They're finally tying the knot next week and they want to play this thing at the their reception at the end of the month. There's way too much to tell about this project so I won't even bother. They're great people and I'm having a good time working for them. The editing is going to be a little daunting given how much footage there is and how little time I have to put it together but the days are going to pass one way or another so we'll see what happens.

Building a Legacy (working title)
Now, that project isn't even over but they've already recommended me to a close friend of theirs, JG. He's a surprisingly altruistic real estate developer putting up a couple of luxury high rise condos on the upper east side (i know i know, whats so charitable about that...trust me, he is). One of the buildings (well, the model apt anyway) is set to launch while I'm in Brazil. So as far as that goes, I'm just putting together a profile of his company and their philosophy for his personal use (maybe extending to a post on their website). The real project is going to be a more in depth documentation on the construction of his next project a few blocks away. It's just a hole in the ground right now but he wants to capture a behind the scenes look at real estate development in Manhattan 2007. Could be pretty interesting given what a character this guy is. Takes me back to when i first began pondering the potential of working for LDE.

(Wow. That was three years ago next Thursday. I'll have to remember to write some sort of Docuboy thank you letter with the other guys. Really wouldn't be anywhere without those guys.)

But yeah, the best part about the Development Documentary is that I'm finally getting paid something closer to what the average money grubbing, union loving videographer makes these days.

Ok. this is why I haven't updated in such a long time. I wanted to clean my room and actually cook dinner and it's already 930pm. I guess cleaning will have to wait. agh.

Also, Alanis Morissette covering "My Hump" ?!? Surprisingly, this is genius.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home